jk2ffa.freeforums.org

JKII 1.02 FFA Community
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to jk2ffa

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Developer Father of JK2, CommunityEmail Source Code Question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Yo guys,
correct any tiny mistakes, grammar etc. or tell me what to change/add to this follow email I wanna send the father of jk2 as a community email. Also please help me to "english it up" (stealth!) lol:

Quote:
Hello Mr. Monroe,

First of thank you and the JK2 developer team and a virtually big big hug for the very best game ever made, we mean, Jedi Knight 2 v1.02. Trust us, some people's life careers would have gone different without it hah. Unfortunately, while we are at it to write you, we got to say we can not thank you for the patches 1.03/1.04 where you guys changed the MP to SP gameplay, you've made it unplayable by that >:[

Anyways, we can forgive you of course x)
And we can forgive you because we think - it cannot be otherwise - that the developer team itsself did not recognize the fully sides, possibilities, variations, innovation, fast-paced gameplay which is involved in JK2 1.02 and which you then of course did cut in the patches in the end.
(This is overall a problem of game developers. They always forget considering and to include commands for all gameplay/configuration variables so the community can choose itsself which are the best values for the gameplay.) It would be cool to hear a respond from you about the JK patch disaster at that time =)

Our request: The Source Code for 1.02 of Jedi Knight 2
As in the subject mentioned we coders/modders/mappers and of course gamers are begging you for handing out the 1.02 source code which you gave out for 1.03 and 1.04 version but never - obviously forgot - to release for 1.02.

I've heard from a friend who asked you for 1.02 source code some 1-2 years ago and saw your email-response to his question. You emailed back that you still got the 1.02 source code and just need to package it orderly =O However, you said you were not sure about the rights on it. Since 1.03/1.04 source codes were released at that time we hope you can rethink the situation you may have not considered back in your email at that time.

There is still an hard core of 100-200 people (at least in EU) still playing version 1.02 actively. In 1.04 there are even more crowds and due to the released source code they enhanced the game completely by innovative mods. In JKA they even modded something awesome like Movie Battles 2 which is a total conversion.

The newest project is a mod to unite all versions of JK2 so they can meet up on one server. However, we have big issues involving 1.02. In our modification gameplays/maps/models can be changed, complemented, extended or people can play in its own 1.02/1.03/1.04 dimensions - on one server. The whole JK2 community might come together by this once again.

Dear James,
JK has almost its 10th anniversary since its release date march 2002. I hope you see our tireless passion and retained flame burning in our hearts for JK2 and our efforts to enhance this game and prepare it for this centenary =)

We hope to hearing from you soon.
All the best to you, the developer team and your families, stay healthy and good creative thoughts in future!
It has always been a pleasure to play JK2, once again thank you for this awesome game,
we are lucky that you realised it. We hope you enjoyed to having heard from us too =D

Sincerely
Your loyal JK2 1.02 Community

The guy I would marry lol: James Monroe

Code:
JK2 Credits:
Project Leads: Steve Raffel and Kevin Schilder
Creative Director: Brian Raffel
Design Lead: Christopher Foster
Asst. Design Lead: Michael Raymond-Judy
Art Lead: Les Dorscheid
Animation Lead: Brian Shubat
Programming Lead: James Monroe
Lead Gameplay Programmer: Michael Chang Gummelt
Sound Lead: Kevin Schilder
Project Administrator: Kenn Hoekstra
Director of Product Development: Mike Crowns
Administrative Assistant: Annette Vee Bushaw

Animation:
Culligan Roberts
Eric Turman

Additional Animation:
Robert Gee

Art:
Kim Lathrop
Jeff Moy
Mark Nelson
Andrew Trabbold

Additional Art:
Jeff Butler

Level Design:
Mike Schulenberg
Stu Wiegert

Additional Level Design:
Eric Biessman

Programming:
Jeff Dischler
Rick Johnson
Pat Lipo
Bob Love
Jake Simpson

Technology and Tools:
Dave Blumenthal
Ste Cork
Gil Gribb

Game Design and Story:
Raven Software and LucasArts

ImageImageImage

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Developer Father of JK2, CommunityEmail Source Code Ques
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:04 pm 

[deleted]

Last edited by Killer Bueno on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Killer Bueno wrote:
http://www.koders.com/c/fid9015362848F9AED4B9B9834EB58092116417682E.aspx

this is not the 1.02 qvm source code... And its only the ui_force.c as Nerevar told me

Anyways, I gotta overedit the email. Not now. Because I've read 25 emails of someone who changed words with developers of JK2. They are really short on time probably. I'm gonna place this longer email below.. probably and just stick mainly to the question.

Anyways, it doesn't look so good because the developers are saying, they ain't have any authority to give out the sc for 1.02. But they may have no clue which sc we mean because they thought it was the SP one but we want to have the MP which is already released for 1.03/1.04.

Well .. I can dig more into this over the weekend. bb ;O

ImageImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 pm 

[deleted]

Last edited by Killer Bueno on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Killer Bueno wrote:
They are links to different files in the left side of the site ... (ui_main.c, etc), even if it's 1.04 some files are the same for all versions (for example : the force, the hud, etc)

Well I think he has seen this :) I have a great idea since the developers don't wanna give out the codebase/sc. We can ask them to send us a/the specific ui_ files we need for 1.02. I think that's is something they can do. But I need to know which are wanted/required from coders. Im not too much into this stuff :O

ImageImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm 

ok... then pls request:

cg_main
cg_syscalls
cg_consolecmds
cg_draw
cg_drawtools
cg_effects
cg_ents
cg_event
cg_info
cg_light
cg_localents
cg_marks
cg_players
cg_playerstate
cg_predict
cg_saga
cg_scoreboard
cg_servercmds
cg_snapshot
cg_turret
cg_view
cg_weaponinit
cg_weapons
ui_shared
cg_newDraw
g_main
ai_main
ai_util
ai_wpnav
bg_lib
bg_misc
bg_pmove
bg_panimate
bg_slidemove
bg_weapons
bg_saber
g_active
g_arenas
g_bot
g_client
g_cmds
g_combat
g_items
g_log
g_mem
g_misc
g_missile
g_mover
g_object
g_saga
g_session
g_spawn
g_svcmds
g_syscalls
g_target
g_team
g_trigger
g_utils
g_weapon
w_force
w_saber
q_math
q_shared

thx

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:48 pm 

Would be kewl if you manage to get the source, so Nere can fix his awesome shiatz.
:)

Spoiler:

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:55 pm 

It's hard to help because I don't know if you want it to be formal or not... guessing by the smileys I'm guessing not? And you want it written as if it were a group of people writing it ja? And do you want it the same but just with grammar/other corrections or do you want some bits rewritten to make it sound better?

reply and I'll do a couple of drafts for you !

p.s.
(This is overall a problem of game developers. They always forget considering and to include commands for all gameplay/configuration variables so the community can choose itsself which are the best values for the gameplay.)

couldn't agree more!

p.p.s
I think this is actually a great email. I think they'd really appreciate your email like this and see it to be very genuine!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:22 pm 

Dear Mr Monroe,

First of all, thanks to you and the JK2 development team and a very big virtual hug for the best game ever made! We mean, of course, Jedi Knight 2 v1.02. Trust us, some peoples' lives would have been different without it hah. Unfortunately, however, we cannot thank you for the 1.03/1.04 patches, where you guys changed the MP to SP gameplay [b]and the online play being becoming unplayable as a result[/b] >:[

Anyways, we can forgive you, of course x)
We can forgive you because we think - and it cannot be otherwise - that the development team, itself, did not fully recognise and consider the possibilities, angles, variations, innovation and fast-paced gameplay that is involved in JK2 1.02, and which you then of course cut in the later patches.
This is an overall problem of game developers: they always forget to consider and include commands for all gameplay/configuration variables so the community can decide for itself what the best variables for gameplay are. It would be cool to hear a response from you regarding the past JK patch disasters =)

Our humble request: The Source Code for 1.02 of Jedi Knight 2 be shared
As in the subject mentioned (what you mean by this bro? - stealth) we coders/modders/mappers and of course gamers, are begging you to hand out the 1.02 source code, for which you gave out for 1.03 and 1.04 versions, but was never (you obviously forgot) released for version 1.02.

got up to here, going to bed soon will prolly finish tomorrow :)

I've heard from someone and saw your email-response to his question who asked you for 1.02 source code some 1-2 years ago. You emailed back that you still got the 1.02 source code and just need to package it orderly =O However, you said you were not sure about the rights on it. Since 1.03/1.04 source codes were released at that time we hope you can rethink the situation you may have not considered back in your email at that time.

There is still an hard core of 100-200 people (at least in EU) still playing version 1.02 actively. In 1.04 there are even more crowds and due to the released source code they enhanced the game completely by innovative mods. In JKA they even modded something awesome like Movie Battles 2 which is a total conversion.

The newest project is a mod to unite all versions of JK2 so they can meet up on one server. However, we have big issues involving 1.02. In our modification gameplays/maps/modells can be changed, complemented, extended or people can play in its own 1.02/1.03/1.04 dimensions - on one server. The whole JK2 community might come together by this once again.

Dear James,
JK has almost its 10th anniversary since its release date march 2002. I hope you see our tireless passion and retained flame burning in our hearts for JK2 and our efforts to enhance this game and prepare it for this centenary =)

We hope to hearing from you soon.
All the best to you, the developer team and your families, stay healthy and good creative thoughts in future!
It has always been a pleasure to play JK2, once again thank you for this awesome game,
we are lucky that you realised it. We hope you enjoyed to having heard from us too =D

Yours Sincerely,
Your loyal JK2 1.02 Fan base & Kaiser

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thx <3 Well actually just grammar fixing lol and syntax correction. These developer guys are pretty cool, they don't mind themselves about formals. I somehow would like to appeal more but maybe this gets too pathethic then lol. I'm pretty sure they know our situation. I've read it in his email-responses when he talked about frustration beyond madness hah

Edit: Oh I c what u did there, thx a lot. Oh God, my English is still that poor haha Ima check it later

ImageImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 pm 

Kaiser wrote:
Thx <3 Well actually just grammar fixing lol and syntax correction. These developer guys are pretty cool, they don't mind themselves about formals. I somehow would like to appeal more but maybe this gets too pathethic then lol. I'm pretty sure they know our situation. I've read it in his email-responses when he talked about frustration beyond madness hah

Edit: Oh I c what u did there, thx a lot. Ima check it later

np my good friend kais0r! I've probably made a few mistakes in that but I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow and make it as nice as possible for you without changing it too much

anyway, GNITE. tomorrow help me get jk2 back on!

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:16 pm 

I think this email is kinda stupid.. Only because you dont play 1.3 doesnt mean it sucks. Im a 1.3 player and 1.3 is all about the bs, dbs and kicks. I admit 1.4 is where Jk2 went horrible wrong but i dont think youve played 1.3 enough to judge. Be a bit more tolerant. I play jk2 from time to time and its not my thing at all, still I respect the different gameplay.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Well, I'm always up for an off-topic about the patch disaster lol (small list of gameplay changes here: the-why-1-03-or-1-04-is-rly-the-most-****-video-t71.html)

Sorry, if I might sound disrespectful. Honestly, I think these patches were the most dumb patchwork ever made in a game and 1.03 is rather a premature mixed ******* son of 1.04 lol It's likely an irony that you call 1.04 dumb although it has the same gameplay as 1.03.

I know you can't see that because you got used to a completely different gameplay than 1.02. It's okay. I'm just saying that the developers dropped the full origin MP gameplay and replaced it by the slow-*** SP gameplay. 1.02 and 1.03/1.04 are completely different games by that. The fanbase couldnt more agree and hate this fact. So it's not about tolerance here, just stating facts. Anyways, I will never understand why ppl are hanging around in the patched versions since there is JKA with same gameplay.

tl;dr: 1.02 is a world of multi hit combos, toying contrahents style, fast-paced crushing skullz moves etc. The patches degenerate jk2 to a cheap and simple hack&slash game without any shape. You know, like you take a brain out of something and it lost any character.

ImageImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:16 pm 

I haven't played much of 1.03 and none of 1.04 but I just thought I'd say, you know that pro majo escape, where I'm on floor 2 of bespin, near the streets (where there are 3 little shield pick ups) and I jump against the pillar, wall run up then lunge to the floor above me? Yeah that thing that maiden, venture and other Es stole from me? My buddy wrew (who we've 2on2ed with kaiser) showed me that, telling me it was from 1.03!

p.s. eden though maiden invented it HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEHAHAHAHEH

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

Stealth wrote:
telling me it was from 1.03!

This rumor sucks and these kind of stories are as old as the hills =D Maiden invented it, I've heard from him and all :)

Btw. did you know uppercut won't work for flying anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you know, you can't do these multi hit combos anymore in one hit, or having this fast yellow swings with overlapped hits... Also, Stealth, where is Wrew??? Haven't seen him for long :O

p.s. Stealth, you wanna try playing 1.03/1.04? Just start jk2sp.exe and write in console "devmap ffa_bespin" then do "give all" oh ye and try there the maiden invention passage to passage walljump. Prove me wrong that its working =)

ImageImageImage

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:48 pm 

Kaiser wrote:
Stealth wrote:
telling me it was from 1.03!

This rumor sucks and these kind of stories are as old as the hills =D Maiden invented it, I've heard from him and all :)

Btw. did you know uppercut won't work for flying anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you know, you can't do these multi hit combos anymore in one hit, or having this fast yellow swings with overlapped hits... Also, Stealth, where is Wrew??? Haven't seen him for long :O

p.s. Stealth, you wanna try playing 1.03/1.04? Just start jk2sp.exe and write in console "devmap ffa_bespin" then do "give all" oh ye and try there the maiden invention passage to passage walljump. Prove me wrong that its working =)

haha! me, wrew + thaco = best ever in jk2. maiden = our pada. flaw = our pada. you = our pada.

DUNNOE HE DISAPPEER!

LOL you big n00bie. i'm oldschool 1.02 okej. help me get it fixd and i go own everyone again

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 am 

My problem with 1.04 is that it plays fucking retardedly. No longer is the game about sabers and making best use of ALL force powers. Now it's only about kick + throw spam and the saber hardly gets used at all. What kind of jedi game is about nothing but kicking?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 am 

Herpaderp wrote:
My problem with 1.04 is that it plays fucking retardedly. No longer is the game about sabers and making best use of ALL force powers. Now it's only about kick + throw spam and the saber hardly gets used at all. What kind of jedi game is about nothing but kicking?

I bet 1.04 players will come back and say it's all about drain and absorb lol

I'm sure all versions have their merits and no doubt their differences will help you become a better player! I'm surprised that I managed to become the best in jk2 while only playing 1.02 actually and no CTF LOL

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:23 am 

Stealth wrote:
I bet 1.04 players will come back and say it's all about drain and absorb lol

But they would be wrong, and I would laugh at them for being dumb. 1.04 has no merits as far as I'm concerned. The only thing even remotely playable is no force sabers only, but even that's broken due to the shitty damage and wonky hit detection.

Report this post