jk2ffa.freeforums.org

JKII 1.02 FFA Community
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to jk2ffa

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: The sketch of FFA_BESPIN2012 & other thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

normal bespin:
FFA_Bespin 2012:

This will be my first bigger post :lol: , since I didnt play JK2 for real in some month and since the release of ffa_bespin2012 and as I started studying :shock:

When I'm looking back at the sketch, it looks pretty funny. You can see I realised only a bit of it. That is because my goal wasn't the map that I finally made but just a reorganisation of places. In the end, I simply added stuff here and there and realised the HELL section because I actually wanted to make the map a serverside one..

Now my thoughts on this map and a bigger project behind it:
I really would love to make this map a real city map with access to every building. I'd like to place some more nice stuff, making this map more complex for having rly nice lame battles.

But there are three reasons which won't make me do that:

1. The very small and not open minded people for new maps of the JK2 1.02 community. However, the map got downloaded 150 times which is pretty awesome. Bespin2012 just wasn't played that much tells me the statistic.

2. There is no one to host this map, there is no server at the moment.

3.Any expanding of more brushes would drop the FPS except I would work with portals/teleporters to acess the buildings or I would have to cut down the whole map again :/
Also I reached the brush_entity limit of 256 (brushes with attributes, max is ~ 256). JKA supports 512. Which will force me to delete jumppads and maybe other stuff.

My thoughts on the reasons:

1. I doubt that this very small ffa community which is also splitted up in Guns in TFJ Bespin_Streets Server and Ownage City FFA people, I doubt that an extension version of ffa_bespin2012 could make one group or even make both groups join the server. But I don't think this scene is dead. Everyone wants a new map equivalent to bespin.

2. I could get the one back which hosted ffa_bespin2012 a while. The hoster changed it to Minecraft. He said he has a minecraft phase..

3. Too many Brushes and FPS drops is a tiny problem, a bigger problem for an attractive map is the brush_entity limit. I hope Triforce or Nerevar or anyone find a trick or can hax-edit the jk2mp.exe to break limits.

conclusion tl;dr:
I can make a real nice ffa_Bespin2012 map with anything but at the moment I doubt it makes sense.
If they can raise the entity limit, I'll do it.
If I get really much support, I'll do it.
If tri is giving me something useful or realising a nice mod, I'll probably do it.

Just wanted to type this down. Give feedback if you got ideas or thoughts on that.

ImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: The sketch of FFA_BESPIN2012 & other thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Background of FFA_Bespin2012 if you didn't notice yet:

Code:
//////////////////INFO////////////////
ENABLE FORCE BOONS FOR CHANGING THE SKY!
set disable_item_force_boon 0 on / 1 off
//////////////////////////////////////

Objects:                          -   Map:
Houses on Dream Island             - Kashyyyk Map
Matrix Rooms                        - Matrix:Reloaded
Labyrinth structure in hell                 - Halloween
Dream island                        - Dream by Phanto
Restaurant(took me hours to fix)           - DEX's Club by Sith-J-Cull
hell terrain                                - bunker wars by dadmad
looking out restaurant window         - bespin_ruins/LM_Bespin?
vine                                  - ctf_forrest/treehouse?

Shaders
Lava soil/waves, sky shaders    - Nerevar and LoC_Desert
Sprite Gras shader, sky      - Clark Kent

Other
Satan textures         - Movie "Drag me to Hell"
Jumppad Sound         - Quake
High Quality Skyboxes      - Xonotic 0.5

Thx to Nerevar, Clark Kent, Triforce and yes Reality for any tiny or bigger help with Shaders or answering "is it possible to make XYZ?-questions" or helping fixing issues at all! =) Also thx to every mapper out there. I'm sorry that I couldnt list up all the authors of the maps but I never planned to take stuff from them. I just had them on the computer. Sorry as well that I didn't ask you but I just wanted to have this map not for my own but for community. Everyone of you made this bespin2012 map a success if it ever was or would became one. I just wanted to extend and put innovation to the old good but too much played ffa_Bespin default map.

WHO RECOGNIZES STUFF? lul

the outside lift =)

ImageImageImage